Property Transfer Stamps

Property Transfer Stamp Instructions and Exemptions

The Village of Midlothian requires that when real estate is transferred or sold within the Village, a property transfer stamp must be obtained by the property owner or agent. The transfer stamp must be obtained before a deed can be recorded with The Cook County Recorder of Deeds.

***Effective July 1, 2023, there will be a water certification of payment fee. In order to obtain a full payment certificate, an application with an application fee of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) shall be made to the Finance Director or their designee.***

The application includes an Affidavit of Compliance regarding Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Detectors. Whether they are in the home or not in the home, it doesn’t hinder the process either way. The form simply needs to be filled out and notarized. The agent/attorney can complete the forms on behalf of the property owner.

Please return the transfer stamp application, a copy of the deed, and payment for any outstanding bills to the Village of Midlothian fourteen (14) business days before closing to obtain the stamp. Transfer Stamp requests should be submitted through the Village of Midlothian's Public Records Center by visiting Midlothian Public Records Center and selecting Request Transfer Stamp.  Please be sure to attach the Transfer Stamp Application and a copy of the deed to your request.

Please contact the Village of Midlothian if you have any questions.

The following deeds or trust documents shall be exempt from the provisions of this chapter, except as provided in this section:
(A) Deeds to or trust documents relating to: 1) property acquired by any governmental body or from any governmental body; and 2) property or interests transferred between governmental bodies.
(B) Deeds or trust documents that secure a debt or other obligation.
(C) Deeds or trust documents, that, without additional consideration, confirm, correct, modify, or supplement a deed or trust document previously recorded.
(D) Deeds or trust documents where the actual consideration is less than one hundred dollars ($100.00), and there is no change of occupancy.

Deeds or trust documents that release property that is a security for a debt or other obligation.

Property Transfer Stamp & Water Certification Application

Submit Property Transfer Stamp Request