The Midlothian Police traffic safety enforcement program's goal is to maintain and improve community livability and safety through Traffic Safety Education, Accident Prevention, Community Based Problem Solving, Enforcement, Investigations, and Support Services. The major functions of this agenda include traffic safety programs, accident investigations, fatal traffic accident and traffic crime investigations, traffic complaint problem solving and resolution, intergovernmental cooperation, community partnerships, general Traffic and DUI enforcement, and community event support activities.
The Midlothian Police Department's Truck Enforcement Unit exists to provide safe passage through Midlothian, for all motor vehicle traffic as they share the roads with larger and heavier commercial traffic. The Truck Enforcement Unit is a proud member of the Illinois Truck Enforcement Association.
The primary duties of the Truck Enforcement Unit are:
- Enforcement of weight and size violations
- Issuing permits for overweight and oversize vehicles using Village maintained highways
- Education of local trucking companies in regard to local and State laws
- Assisting the Illinois State Police with random portable scale roadblocks
- Coordination between developers, trucking companies, and the Village with respect to truck routing in and out of commercial jobsites
- Handling complaints from residents about truck specific problems
- Checking for safety and driver’s license classification violations
The Village of Midlothian utilizes an online permit service, Oxcart Permits. You will need to set up a free user account on their site in order to apply and pay for the permit. More information is available on the Oxcart Permits website.